Cannabidiol, or CBD, is fast becoming a favorite go-to option for people looking for fast relief from pain, inflammation, anxiety, insomnia or bowel issues. But people these days don’t always have the luxury of abiding by a doctor-prescribed lifestyle.
There is an increasing need for medications and treatments to suit our way of life instead of the other way around – which is usually the case, forcing people to give up on a career or chosen lifestyle.
CBD-infused edibles are one of those innovations that came about to make CBD use simpler and more enjoyable for everyone.
Originally invented by a German factory worker in the 1920s, gummy bears have turned into one of America’s favorite candies – not only for children but among adults with a sweet tooth too!
Just pop a fruity (or any flavor that you love) gummy into your mouth and chew – or keep it in your mouth if you want – and simply enjoy! Heck! Everyone deserves a tasty treat now and then, and if you can get your dose of the therapeutic cannabinoid this way, then why not?
Why Make CBD Gummies At Home?
There are quite a few CBD-infused edible options out there. Although not the most efficient way of administering cannabinoids, ingestible CBD is quite a convenient method of using it.
And, gummy bears are the most favorite among most CBD users with a sweet tooth. After all, it’s nice to feel the CBD work on your body as you enjoy a yummy gummy.
But buying a whole bunch of CBD gummy packs every week or every month can prove to be quite a pinch on your pockets. Besides, there are other issues consumers usually face while trying to get their daily dose of CBD from gummies.
Here are a few reasons why making your CBD gummies in your own kitchen can be a better choice:
- Price: Homemade CBD gummies are cheaper than most of the branded ones available in the market. Besides no packaging costs are needed for gummies; you can simply store them in an airtight jar and pop a gummy bear into your mouth whenever you need it. For instance, a pack of 15 gummies from one of the premium brands, containing 25mg CBD per treat, can cost you around $45. You can get your gummies made at home at a much cheaper rate. Admittedly, the price of making CBD products is expensive.
- Legality issues: Many states have banned CBD-infused gummy bears (for instance, New York) under the presumption that they are targeting children. Besides, it is also illegal to If you can make it at home, you don’t have to worry about that at all. Make them at home (if CBD oil is generally legal in your state) and consume as per your liking or need.
- Control over Flavor: You can’t control the coloring and flavoring when you buy them online or from your local stores. You have to take what you get. If you design your own gummies, you get what you like, and not what’s served up by the companies.
- Potency: Some brands offer 25mg CBD per treat, others 30mg per gummy. But if you want or need a higher dose per gummy, you can make it yourself and won’t have any complaints about why CBD-infused gummies aren’t working for you. There is nothing wrong with a bit of gelatin, coconut oil or fruit juice, and none of these ingredients inhibit the effects of CBD. It just might be that the dose isn’t high enough for you.
- Purity: Not all brands are true to their word about the composition or the ingredients of their products, or the impurities in them. When you make your gummies with CBD tincture you bought from a company you trust, the rest is up to you to make sure you don’t let anything through. Besides, you can always make your own CBD oil at home too!
- No waiting for shipment to arrive: Simply make it at home! If you have all the ingredients, you don’t have to worry about when you can have your gummies. It is completely in your control. Make it as and when you need it. You just have to make the next batch when your stock is nearing its end.
How to Make Gummies at Home: Recipe & Measurements
There are quite a few recipes of making CBD-infused gummies out there. You can always pick and choose. But here’s an easy recipe that you can try right away.
Making time: 45 minutes
Total number of gummies: 30
CBD per treat: 40mg
But before we get into that, certain things need to be remembered:
- Don’t use anything to which you may be allergic.
- Stick to natural flavorings and coloring as far as possible.
- Make sure your measurements match your dosage.
- Choose CBD isolates – it’s simpler to manage the process.
Now, let’s get down to the details of the recipe, i.e. items needed to make CBD gummies at home and the preparation method. In this recipe, I have used 1 bottle of FabCBD’s 1200mg CBD oil drops (natural flavor). You can choose your preferred CBD tincture as per your preference and dosage.
Making CBD Gummies At Home: What you’ll need
CBD gummy-making is actually quite simple. You don’t need anything that isn’t easily available in the market. So take this list with you when you go shopping to prep yourself for the recipe.
- 1 fl oz (30ml) CBD tincture (I had used FabCBD’s 1200mg CBD oil drops (natural flavor). This CBD oil contains a full-spectrum cannabinoid blend, other cannabinoids (may contain trace amounts of hemp-derived THC, but way below 0.3%), terpenes, and MCT oil.
- 1 ½ cup/8 tablespoons unflavored gelatin (more or less a pack of gelatin powder)
- 2-3 tablespoons creamed honey or any other sweetener of your choice
- ½ cup coconut water
- ¾ cup tart cherry juice & 2 bags of green tea (I chose this combination) / ½ cup peach slices & 1 teaspoon chamomile buds/ 1 cup orange juice & 1 tablespoon lemon juice. [Add any one or a blend of these natural extracts to give the taste and color to the gummies. You can use any bottled or fresh fruit juice.]
- ⅛ teaspoon Himalayan pink salt (good for reducing cramps and inflammation, and improving the body’s pH factor)
- Natural food dye (optional)
Note that I have used only the unflavored variants of both the CBD oil and gelatin (both are available in different flavors in the market). This is to ensure the flavor is restricted to only the natural juices/extracts I add. Besides, there is no water added to this mix. The reason for that is plain water does not mix with CBD oil. We have used all kinds of fatty plant extracts or oils to make these gummy bears.
- Food-grade condiment bottle (squeeze bottle)
- Food-grade silicone gummy bear molds
- Measuring cup
- Oven mittens
Finalizing your CBD Gummies: Directions
- Place the silicone molds on cookie sheets and set it aside for when the gummy bear liquid is done.
- Now pour the gelatin powder into a glass bowl and add enough water to turn it into a homogenous liquid.
- Pour the measured coconut water into the saucepan and place it on a stovetop. (Don’t microwave it.) Bring it to boil, and then dip the green tea bags in the saucepan containing the hot coconut water and let it steep for around 6 – 10 minutes.
- Add the cherry juice, Himalayan pink salt, and creamed honey to the mix. Use the spatula to gently stir the mixture until it is completely homogenous.
- Bring the mixture to a boil again, and then reduce the heat to simmer.
- Gradually add the gelatin into the mix and whisk quickly for around 2 – 3 minutes (i.e. until the gelatin has smoothly and completely mixed with all the ingredients in the saucepan).
- Now is the time to add the CBD oil. Pour your desired dose of CBD into the saucepan (mind you the heat should be on low at this point) and whisk thoroughly for 3 minutes or so.
- If you want to add additional dye, do it now. Give the whole mix a thorough whisk and let it simmer for a while longer. You should be able to see a smooth, homogenous fluid warming on the stove.
- Turn off the stovetop and place funnel on the mouth of a condiment (squeeze) bottle.
- Carefully, yet smartly, pour the entire hot gummy bear liquid into the condiment bottle.
- Use oven mittens to hold the bottle as you squeeze the liquid into the gummy bear silicone molds.
- Place the mold into the refrigerator and let it sit for at least 20-25 minutes. [The idea is to make sure that bears are firm and bouncy when removed. If you have ever made anything with gelatin before you’d know how long it approximately takes and add or subtract a few minutes.]
- After removing the molds from the refrigerator, turn each mold face down on a broad-mouthed container or tray and squeeze the bears out.
- Store them in an airtight container.
- Enjoy your homemade yummy gummy bears whenever you want, but only as per your dosage. Remember, each gummy has 40mg of CBD – slightly higher than most available in the market. So, you may need to take fewer ones throughout the day.
- Take a day or two to gauge your exact requirements. You can easily calculate an approximate dosage. However, each form of administering gives a different effect, as do different tinctures of different brands.
Nothing’s more important than good health
Whether you’re using CBD to overcome or manage some health issues or as a food supplement for general wellbeing, you need to make sure you dose yourself the right way. It is always best to start low and go slow until you find the dose that suits the need and condition.
Needless to say, always consult your doctor before using anything new (if you’re a new user). If you are an old user and have started suffering from a condition recently, consult your physician to find out if CBD is good for it and whether it will interfere with your other medications.
Cannabidiol does, in fact, have many health benefits. But you shouldn’t use CBD-infused gummies like any other candy. Don’t take it lightly. Use it wisely. It’s a question of your health! Nothing else is as important as your health.